Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

so thankful

I know I've been a little M.I.A this past week with traveling and Thanksgiving, my apologies! It feels like I've been doing nothing but eating, drinking, shopping, spending time with family, friends and eating some more!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays simply because what I've been doing is what it's all about. Relaxing and spending time with those you love without the stress of material gifts, but simply the gift of just being together.

This year we traveled back to Landenberg the weekend before turkey day to spend time with my family. At the Boxler house there is never a dull moment, and it's getting even better as our family grows. A dining room table that used to feel so big for just the 6 of us is now filled with 10 chairs (including a baby seat), and 3 dogs waiting patiently for someone to give them some food! Since it's only a couple times a year that we are all together, it's special. And even with the shoving elbows, screaming to pass the gravy, baby crying, dogs fighting, and spilled wine on a new table cloth... the twinkle in my parent's eyes when everyone is together, let's me know there is nothing they are more thankful for than this.

While we were in town the guys played in the annual Turkey Shoot golf outing at Chisel Creek and had a blast even though it was freezing. Much of the car ride back to Pittsburgh, all I heard about were these new golf clubs my soon-to-be brother in law has that John tried out and loved. (Thanks Justin!)  I was having a really hard time justifying why he needed new ones when he already had a nice set that was less than 2 years old! But I guess he could come up with a million things that I buy just because, not necessarily because I need them. Sigh.

Back in the burgh I had two quick days of work, dinner and drinks for Jess's birthday and then it was Thanksgiving Round 2 with the Kapusta's. The weather was warm and gorgeous that day, which was perfect for John and his dad to stick with their tradition of deep frying a turkey. This year they kicked it up a notch by injecting it with a cajun marinade and boy, was it tasty! We ate a little earlier this year and were all in food comas by 6pm :)  We laugh that it takes all day of preparing a table full of amazing food, and less than 30 minutes to sit down and eat it!

I'm so very thankful that I am a part of not one, but two wonderful and loving families. 

Even though I technically did not NEED anything that warranted Black Friday madness, Lisa was in town and we decided to brave the craziness and venture out to do some shopping together. That morning John kept dropping hints about these new golf clubs, even going so far to give me a coupon, and package up his old clubs, and even put them in my car jussssst in case we decided to stop at Golf Galaxy to trade them in. You know, because Golf Galaxy is definitely a store Lisa and I frequent often... Could he not be more indirectly telling me he wants these new clubs?!

Our first stop was Kohls and we lucked out and got a great parking spot right away, a shopping cart, and saw a group of nuns shopping. (These are BIG wins on Black Friday) I should probably mention the cart was a large GROCERY store cart and WAY too big to be navigating the narrow aisles of stuff in a crowded store.  Somehow I managed to fill it with stuff I technically did not NEED, but did get some great deals on presents. The lines wrapped around the store, but we had a great system down where one of us would wait in line with the cart while the other did some more shopping. It only took about an hour to get through it, which we didn't think was that bad. I love Kohls but they get me everytime with the Kohls cash, and they were giving $15 in Kohls cash for every $50 that you spent!! So now I have to go back and use it, on more stuff I technically do not NEED :)

I'm so very thankful that I have life long friends that can make anything, (and I mean anything), a fun time.

I decided to be the good wife and stop at Golf Galaxy since it was across the street. Well, I caved. With the trade-in money for the old clubs, the coupon and a sale on the new clubs, I couldn't pass it up, but now how do I keep this a secret from him?... he's impossible to surprise. I was trying to think of a story he would believe so when I got home I told him that I traded in his old clubs, but didn't realize that I was supposed to buy the new ones without him and said I thought we would go back at some point and buy them together. That's believable right?? I never bought golf clubs before, doesn't he want to try them out again to make sure?
I couldn't tell whether he knew I was lying or not, but he seemed to get pretty bummed and then a little upset that he now had no golf clubs. I mean, what is a man to do?! What if he wanted to play this weekend, or go to the range or practice his swings in the living room (even though I tell him not too because I dont want him scuffing the new floors!)
I let him stew on that for a couple days, just to add some suspense to it (I know, I'm mean, but I'm really not!).  I actually let it get to the point where he was ready to purchase them online when I stopped him, confessed and am suddenly the best wife. ever.

I'm so very thankful that I have a husband who loves me, (even when I sell his golf clubs) and plays along to let me think that I actually surprised him with the new ones.




2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your travels back to Landenberg. I remember your house so well that it brings back such memories to hear you talk about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin! I don't feel like too much has changed around there since you moved :)

    ReplyDelete