Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

happy halloween

It's typically mid Summer when the question comes up amongst my friends, "so what are you being this year?!" and then the panic sets in when I have no clue.

Weeks go into searching online for different ideas as to what to dress up as for Halloween. And while I've always enjoyed this holiday growing up trick or treating, I still love dressing up even as an adult. I usually make my costumes rather than buying pre-packaged ones, thinking that I save a lot of money, which in many cases isn't always worth it given how much time I've spent searching Gabes for ladies construction boots, or Goodwill for a leather vest. This has resulted in a nice collection of wigs and random paraphenalia that I'll likely never use again.

Growing up, we didn't live in a neighborhood, so we were those people who's parents would drive us to other neighborhoods to go trick or treating. I remember there was one house where a man would hide with a chain saw and just hearing the roar of it would send all the kids running and screaming. For some reason we still went back there every year, testing ourselves to see if we were still petrified.

When we were done all four of us kids, would come home dump our sacks of candy on the table, trying to determine who had the biggest pile. Then there was the "inspection" by Dad to see if any candy looked "suspicious". These would end up in his bowl of candy. Funny we didn't catch onto that until later in life. Then the trading amongst each other would begin, I'll give you my Snickers for your Reeses Peanut Butter cups! We were so worried about who had the most candy, even though there was no way we could ever eat it all.
 As I've grown up, I miss the excitement of trick of treating. With all of the places I've lived, there have never been children around to trick or treat. (Ha! This may be why I miss it!) I've bought candy and waited anxiously for the door bell to ring, but it never does. I'm sure when we move this next time it will be a different story and I'll probably be complaining about how I have to buy all this candy!

So back to the costumes. Halloween costumes became a big deal in college where (yes I am admitting) most girls, including myself found it as an excuse to wear things they would NEVER wear in public. There were always so many Halloween parties to go to, and often times we'd be to the point we were sick of wearing the same thing so many nights in a row. Post college, we tamed it down a bit and usually it was one party and the dress was a little more conservative.
It's cold in October, what were we thinking in those short skirts?!

Of course it is fun dressing up yourself, but it's even more fun seeing what everyone else is wearing. Last year we went to Stage AE on the North Shore in Pittsburgh and there were so many awesome costumes. One of the local radio hosts dressed as Abby Lee Miller from Dance Moms and he looked just like her! This year he was Honey Boo Boo. Ridiculous.

I am a little sad to report that I did not dress up this year, this is the first time in awhile. That's not to say I didn't get in the Halloween spirit, I did. Last Friday, we went to Fright Night at Kennywood with friends and had a blast, even got a little skerred! (Mostly from riding roller coasters in the pitch black).

So in honor of halloween's past and my lack of costume/creativity this year, I want to reminisce a bit. Please don't judge, people!





Freshmen year Flapper.
Pretty conservative. Dad would be proud!









Sophomore year Police Officer.
Uh oh, seriously, no need to show the stomach.








Junior year Mafia girl.
Couldn't get John to dress up this year.


Senior year Referee. I can't find any pictures of this! I remember a long blonde wig though and not wanting to spend money on a real ref shirt so I painted black lines on a white tee.











Homewrecker.
All time favorite. I just cannot get over those boots, I wish I knew where they went. (Pretty sure the only thing I can get John to dress up as is a construction worker)













Flight attendant.
John was a pilot. Duh, didn't you see that patch on his pocket?



 
 







Sarah Palin.
It was an election year and I remember people requesting to get pictures with me. John was McCain.















Betty Rubble.
Ok I did cheat here and buy a pre-packaged costume!
















Kat Von D.
Another favorite. I still wear those tattoo sleeves occasionally.











Flo.
I thought I was being unique until I realized Progessive has an entire site providing instruction on how to dress up like her!
















Bumble Bee.
Izzy from a few years ago, she wishes her old costumes still fit her too :)

















Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment