Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pitt Pride

Happy Homecoming University of Pittsburgh Alumni!

Unlike years past we did not host a huge tailgating event before the game, but instead grabbed a few beers at a bar, acted like civilized adults, made it into the stadium before kick-off and actually stayed awake the entire time. It was weird.
Why did we do such a thing? It was a really early game (11 AM!!) and due to our usual crew being out of town or having other plans, it ended up just being me and my two "husbands" (John and his best bud Ryan). So we decided it wasn't worth all of the effort of packing coolers, the grill, and all the other stuff for just us.

I love tailgating. Especially with a football team like Pitt. You can never guarantee a good game, but we can always guarantee one heck of a time before hand. There will definitely be a tailgate post later in the season, so stay tuned. We're not usually this lame.

I've gotten to do a lot of amazing things in my life but there is one thing I feel like I missed out on. High school football.  My high school did NOT a football team.
Western Pennsylvanians say WHAT?!?!

It wasn't a small school either, it was actually pretty big. All of our surrounding schools had teams, ours just didn't for some reason. We had all of the other sports, just not football. Since I graduated, the school has started a football program and it's actually pretty good. But you can imagine moving out to Pittsburgh, when people hear that they just can't comprehend it. It is such a big deal around here, and western PA turns out some awesome kids that make it big in college and the pros.
If you are ever in Pittsburgh, check out the  Heinz History Center Sports Museum. It's pretty cool.

I've never gotten to experience Friday night lights or the immense spirit you have for YOUR home team during a football game, which is probably why when I went to my very first college football game I was in awe. I just loved it. Not just the sport, but the whole atmosphere. The pep rallies and preparation before the game, everyone decked out in blue and gold, the PANTHER, cheering at the top of our lungs and when we win the celebration the rest of the weekend. For how big of a school it is, during those moments when everyone is singing and cheering along, you feel like one big team. In it together, no matter how bad we're getting our butts kicked. It gives you such a sense of pride.

Annnnd I apparently wear my pride on my sleeve. Two of them in fact. I realized this this morning when I was getting ready for the game, I took a look the drawer and had to take a step back. I may have a problem. Is it normal to have this many college football t-shirts?!



Guess which one I picked??

I started pulling one out and there was always another one tucked under it, and another, and another. So finally I pulled them all out and laid them on the floor. Holy crap.

This of course is about the time John walks in and says 'what the heck are you doing?! and why do you have all those shirts?! that is ridiculous Alicia' and shakes his head and walks out of the room.
I wasn't really sure why I had so many, I just feel the need every season to get a new one (or two, or when they go on sale maybe three...).


After all these years, my favorite place to buy Pitt gear is at the Pittsburgh Stop. On campus it's a corner stand on Bigelow Blvd and Forbes Avenue and on game days they bring a truck down to Heniz field.


I can't walk by without stopping to check out what they have. One time I even bought a door mat. Don't ask.





What can I say, I wear my pride on my sleeve and I love the Pitt Panthers.

                              



John is just lucky I didn't pull out all my sweatshirts and jackets too. :) We'll keep those a secret.






 












If you guessed the gold shirt, you were right!

Even the puggle has Pitt pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment