Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Healthy Tortilla Soup

One of my goals with the 'get healthy' resolution for this year is to make smarter food decisions. For me, this does not mean eating salads every day, because 1) I'd be starving and end up snacking a lot more, and 2) it's not sustainable and I'd likely give up pretty quickly. One of my strategies with the smarter decision making is finding meals that are good for you taste great and don't scream "you're on a diet!!" When I sat down on Sunday to plan out my week, I had some support...

Let me introduce you to my friend Rocco DiSpirito. If you haven't seen or heard of him, you need to. He focuses on reinventing delicious dishes that are notoriously bad for you, and making them healthy (like 350 calories or less kinda healthy!)
While he wasn't really sitting down with me planning out my meals, his cookbooks were.
Now Eat This! and Now Eat This! Diet.
All of his recipes that I have made have been surprisingly really good and not too difficult! Earlier this week I made Spaghetti Carbonara and it was awesome!
(now really, who can eat THAT when they are on Weight Watchers?!? ME, thanks to Rocco!)

He recently released a Now Eat This! Italian cookbook which I am anxiously awaiting to arrive from Amazon.

Tonight, I was making tacos (using lean ground turkey) and thought rather than a side dish of spanish rice or chips and salsa, (which would not have been too healthy) I would make Rocco's Tortilla Soup. Arrrribaaaa!! It was tasty, filling and only 4 WW points a serving.

Tortilla Soup with Avocado and Cilantro
Courtesy of Now Eat This! Rocco DiSpirito
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 corn tortillas
  • 2/3 cup low-fat, low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup diced fire roasted tomoatoes (Hunts)
  • 2 chipolte chiles in adobo sauce, chopped fine
  • 2/3 cup store bought fresh salsa
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • 1 cup shredded breast meat from a rotisserie chicken
  • 1/3 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1.) Preheat oven to 375'F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2.) Cut the tortillas into 1/4 inch wide strips. Place strips in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, and bake until golden and crisp, 9 mins was perfect.

3.) Meanwhile, combine the chicken broth, tomatoes, chipolte chiles, salsa and corn in a medium saucepan. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir the chicken into the soup, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

4.) Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with avocado slices, chopped cilantro and tortilla strips, and serve.

Traditionally tortilla soup has up to 510 calories and 20 grams of fat... not this version, only 142 calories and a whooping 3.1 grams of fat. Ay CarYUMba!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment