Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

sara's shower

This past weekend was my youngest sister, Sara's bridal shower! Sidenote: when I've told people this their first question is whether I am in the wedding? Is it just me, but don't most people have their siblings in their weddings unless they had a huge falling out or something? I just find it odd that so many people have asked me that but I guess they don't how big the bridal party is or our family situation. Anyway.. I digress.

I've been wanting to post pictures of my projects along the way but didn't want to ruin any of our surprises for Sara so now I can show! The wedding colors are light pink and grey (no more yellow!)so we opted to go with what I call a pink shabby chic theme for the shower.

Thank goodness for Pinterest!

The first great find were the invitations!
I'm a sucker for cute cards, I've told you before, I love them! I found so many cute invites online, but with our fairly large guest list (around 70 invites!) shelling out $1.50 + a piece was not in the budget. I found this website called artfire.com and a designer called starwedd where you can purchase an electronic version of the invitation for $15.00 and print it yourself at home... I had leftover cardstock from other projects so besides buying envelopes and using some ink in my home printer, this turned out to be a huge cost saver and the invites were beautiful!

 


Next was a banner that I made from various prints of scapbook paper and tied together with thin rope. I've seen a lot of these for sale on Etsy and other sites, but to make it myself took an hour and cost less than a few bucks!


Monica made a sign with a countdown to the wedding day!
 
 

















The centerpieces were various size metal cans wrapped with the same scrapbook paper and filled with flowers. We really lucked out here that Sharon, the maid of honor's father worked for a wholesale flower distributor and was able to get us a TON of flowers for an amazing price!




















The favors were originally picked out when the colors were yellow and grey, but we made it work for the pink/grey theme. Small honey jars that were purchased on Amazon and I made custom labels that said "Sara and Justin, Meant to bee..." We weren't crazy about the blue plaid lids so some tulle and ribbon did the trick!

 
We tried not to overdo it with the games but needed something to keep our guests entertained. We started off with a purse scavenger hunt, where we read off a list of items that ladies would have in their purses and if they have the item they get a point. The one with the most points, wins! It was pretty funny seeing what some of these people were pulling out of their bags.. men's cologne, socks, 4 tubes of lipstick! The other game involved asking Justin some questions ahead of time and then asking Sara the same question and seeing how well she knows how he'd answer. She got all of them right! Instead of bridal bingo while Sara opened gifts we set an egg timer and if it went off while she was opening your gift, you got a prize. Other prizes were given out for birthday closest to their wedding day and engagement day.

For the prizes, Lauren ordered body wash and lotion sets from Victorias Secret and put them in bags with grey/pink tissue.
















As for food and drink, we decided on a Sangria and a bridal punch recipe that were both really tasty. We had a variety of appetizers, my mom made yummy soup and beef brisket sandwiches, assorted wraps and side dishes. Lori, Justin's mom made these delicious anitpasta skewers (that I am SO making for my next party) and Monica made fruit skewers that were almost too pretty to eat!

Instead of a cake, Lauren made cupcakes - vanilla, chocolate and of course FUNFETTI! We got a good laugh at the way the tops were shaped due to baking them in a convection oven, but nothing a little icing and some pretty sprinkles couldn't fix! Jenna brought white chocolate flower pops and we had brownies and mini cheesecakes as well.


As always, my Dad does a great job pulling it all together at Chisel Creek golf course. I think secretly he's a little sad this will be the last bridal shower for his daughters. He really gets into David Tuterra mode when it comes to these events and I love it!




Thank you all who came out to celebrate Sara's bridal shower! I know she had a great time and we're all looking forward to the next party at her house now that she has everything she needs!


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Sara is getting married!! Just a little while ago weren't we trying to make her quit following us around? :) Best wishes to them both...and great party!! I teared up when I saw the address.

    ReplyDelete