Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

bah humPUG

While it seems like Christmas cards are becoming less of a tradition with all the other modes of communication these days, I still like sending them. This is probably because I like receiving them! You must admit the majority of the year when you open the mailbox all it contains are bills, credit card offers and catalogs for stores you've never shopped at and never will!
It's boring.
I remember actually being excited about getting the mail when I was a kid, now I kinda dread it.
But not at Christmas time.
I love seeing cards tucked amongst the other junk that typically gets tossed out as soon as I walk in the door. Sweet notes and pictures from friends and family adorn our pantry door as I hang them all up for display.

Last year was the first year that I did a photo card. While I was hoping I could get a card-worthy picture of John, Izzy and I in time for this year, I knew that would likely not be the case since I'm not crazy about any pictures of myself right now. Instead I had this idea (likely from something I saw on Pinterest) to put a wreath around Izzy's head and use that pic for our card.
John declined the offer when I asked if he wanted to do it too :)

So last night I went to the craft store and bought a wreath and ribbon to be the prop for this photo sesh.
I knew this was not going to be easy since the dog typically hates anything on her besides her collar. No doggie clothes, jackets, reindeer antlers, boots for this pooch. But for a certain amount of treats, I can make her do anything so there would need to be some bargaining going on.
This was not a one person job so John and I had to plan the strategy so she didn't take off running and hide under our bed (her favorite hiding spot) never to be seen again the rest of the night.

The strategy went something like this:

Sit.
Treat.
Hold wreath in front of her face.
Treat.
Push wreath back onto her neck.
Treat.
Picture!!
Treat.

So we had her positioned and the pile of treats ready to go, but she was not going for it. She did not want to put her head through the wreath! I started thinking maybe we just hold it in front and I try to get creative with the camera angle but having John's hand in there wasn't really the look we were going for. Then she ran away so I started thinking maybe it was going to be traditional Hallmarks this year. Screw the photo card.


John caught her and said that we need to be the leader of the pack (must have learned that from the dog whisperer) and put the treats aside, put the stupid wreath on her neck and she was pretty much paralyzed in fear. She stood there like a perfect angel while I snapped away a gazillion pictures like a crazy woman oooohing and ahhhhhing!
(My future children are going to HATE me some day because I will be THAT mom)

I know this sounds like animal cruelty and I promise she was not harmed at all during this. She was rewarded with plenty of hugs, kisses and treats and I was rewarded with some adorable pictures of what looks like a pissed off puggle with a Christmas wreath on her neck.
Bah-humbug from Izzy!





Actually, I do think she may have been partially traumatized, or just really ticked off because afterwards she laid in her bed and stared at the wall rather than cuddling with me on the couch like she normally does. Guess I better think of something better for next year!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Nice try pack leader! Hahaha she has such a huge personality....oh I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and by personality, you mean ATTITUDE?! :)

    ReplyDelete